Woodlander Sir Georgeous - Pony Stallion - fed on CORE&MORE
What is the CORE&MORE feed range?
We wanted to make things simple when it comes to feeding – so you know exactly what you’re putting into your horse and what you can alter in accordance to workload, condition etc.
So let’s start with the basics. The simple feeding regime we like to adhere to is the following:
Balancers - Super Fibres - Calories - Protein
What are the COREs?
These are our feed balancers – for an in-depth discussion on why horse owners tend to use feed balancers, feel free to read the article ‘What’s the Deal with Balancers?’.
In summary, a feed balancer is designed to be fed at a consistent rate (regardless of workload, condition etc.) alongside an un-supplemented fibre and calorie source (if required). They’re designed to provide horses with all the vitamins and minerals required to maintain general health, coat condition and hoof support.
We currently offer a choice of different balancers, which cater for various needs and combinations of needs:
- EssentialCORE – Our most basic feed balancer, but still contains all you need to support general health, coat and hooves. That means vitamins, minerals (no magnesium) and amino acids.
All of the COREs below contain chelated calcium. This unique EquiFeast nutrients requires loading for about one month so all of the products in this group have Starter and Follow On versions. Starter versions contain a loading level of chelated calcium. All packs last a 550kg (16hh TB) about 5 weeks. The Follow On packs are roughly £20 cheaper then the Starters.
- CoolCORE – Offers the same support as EssentialCORE, but also contains Cool, Calm & Collected. Perfect for horses who are lacking in focus, spooky or unsettled. This is our number 1 selling CORE product and is available Tyrosine free for horses with EMS, IR or PSSM (though see LamiCORE below).
- CoolCORE DIGEST - As above but with a 20% level of our DIGEST stomach and hindgut support package built in.
- CoolCORE Bombproofing - CoolCORE DIGEST plus extra tyrosine and a generous helping of tryptophan. Designed for the horses that spook at everything and are scared of their own shadow.
- LamiCORE – As per CoolCORE, but with added ingredients to support horses and ponies with metabolic issues.
- WinningEdge CORE – our most comprehensive balancer, containing the same support as CoolCORE but with added digestive, mobility and immune support. A real money saver when you think of how much is spent buying a balancer, calming, digestive and mobility supplements separately!
CoolCORE, LamiCORE and WinningEdge CORE are the only feed balancers on the market to contain Cool, Calm & Collected!
What are the MOREs?
These are the feeds designed to be chosen in accordance to your horse’s needs and fed alongside one of the COREs. All of our MOREs contain natural ingredients and haven’t been supplemented with any magnesium – this means the amount fed can be varied without compromising behaviour or inadvertently altering the levels of vitamins and minerals the horse is getting (something that happens when you feed a complete cube for example).
- MORE Fibre - This is our Super Fibre product. You will be amazed how much difference just 1-2 mugfuls a day or MORE Fibre makes. So, after the CORE of your choice, MORE Fibre is the foundation on which the other MOREs build if needed.
- MORE Condition – Can be used to promote weight gain, OR as a slow release energy source. Don’t forget energy = calories. So if your horse needs more energy, they need calories. Same applies when looking to promote weight gain. Due being concentrated, MORE condition is only fed by the mug (250g) meaning huge bucket feeds are avoided. It is also very good for fussy eaters as they seem to love the seedy texture!
- MORE Work - Very similar to MORE Condition. Designed to provide the fuel your horse needs for its day to day and competition workload. This is an oil and fibre based product so non-heating.
- MORE Muscle – This is a high quality protein source designed to aid topline and general muscle development. There are also added nutrients to help the muscles to recover after exercise. MORE Muscle is slightly less calorific than MORE Condition and the two can be fed alongside each other.
- MORE Oil – A simple and easy way to introduce calories into the diet. Cold-pressed linseed oil, no messing about and no frills. Ideal for weight gain or adding a healthy glow to any horse’s coat.
- MORE Oomph! - MORE Oomph! is a maltodextrin and electrolyte mixed designed to be given to those horses which just need a bit of a boost to their energy levels. Psyllium is also included to help regulate the insulin response. MORE Oomph! can also be used post exercise to rapidly replenish glycogen stores in muscles. Perfect for horses in hard/strenuous work/competing.
- MORE Tasty – Often overlooked, but MORE Tasty is incredibly handy and really seems to work! Very simple wheat germ, a small amount added to any feed (50g or so) will encourage almost any horse to eat up.
Is the CORE&MORE range suitable for horses with digestive issues?
Yes* and for a number of reasons! Firstly, the range is free from any supplementary magnesium meaning horses on CORE&MORE are much less likely to suffer from stress or anxiety, therefore avoiding digestive upset.
CORE&MORE is also low starch/sugar.
*We wouldn’t recommend feeding MORE Oomph! to horses with digestive issues.
It doesn’t look like I’m feeding much?
You’re not! The CORE’s are generally fed in grams at around half your horse’s bodyweight in kilograms (this equates to roughly a mug or so per day). MORE Fibre, MORE Condition, More Work and MORE Muscle are fed by the mug, with the maximum amount of MORE Condition given to a 500-600kg horse being about 4 mugs and 2 mugs of MORE Muscle.
Our objective is to combine our specialist products with the much lower cost grass and hay you are almost certainly feeding to produce an outstanding complete diet.
Some people want to feed larger meals. Use the basic, unsupplemented chaffs from firms like Dengie or Honeychop. Even with an un-supplemented fibre alongside (such as a basic chaff) this still may not look like much in the bucket, but remember, MORE Muscle and MORE Condition are rather concentrated – a little goes a long way basically. Allowing for smaller bucket feeds and keeping the attention of fussy feeders.
How much does it all cost?
Perhaps not as much as you may expect; The CORES cost from £1 to £1.50 per day to feed.
The MORES from 50p to £1.50 per day.
CoolCORE and WINNINGEDGE CORE offer some of the biggest savings, if you were previously buying a balancer and calmer separately – CoolCORE combines the two!
If you were buying a balancer, calmer, joint support and stamina – WINNINGEDGE CORE combines all of those!
Are there samples available?
Yes indeed – samples are a great way to get a better look at the CORE&MORE range and give to your horse to see if they like it. Due to the unusual texture, some horses find our range a little unusual but more often than not come round to the idea! MORE Condition on the other hand seems to be adored by even the fussiest of horses!
Where can I get it?
Directly from ourselves - we charge a standard postage fee of £3.00 regardless of how much you order.
Contact us for more information or FREE Samples!